Mantis Bug Tracker

View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Issue History ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0000999Core InformReleasing, bibliographic data, cBlorbpublic2012-08-23 06:212014-05-07 07:34
ReporterSman789 
Assigned Tograham 
PrioritynormalSeveritycriticalReproducibilityalways
StatusclosedResolutionfixed 
PlatformLinux x64OSUbuntuOS Version12.04 (Precise)
Product Version6G60 
Target VersionFixed in Version6L02 
Summary0000999: Having the é character in the path to a project results in "Translating the Source - Failed" error
DescriptionCreating a project with a path such as /home/(user name)/Inform 7/Sométhing , or any other path with the é (with the accent) character in it, causes the program to give a "Translating the Source - Failed" error when you press the compile and run button. I have tried this with numerous paths containing the é character and it always gives the same error.
Tagswrongcategory
Effect(critical) Compiler crashes
Attached Files

- Relationships

-  Notes
(0001830)
zarf (developer)
2012-08-26 13:45

Confirmed that this also occurs on MacOS, when either the project-dir name or one of its parent directories contains an é.

The IDE progress tab says:

Can't open debug log
Offending filename: </Users/zarf/Downloads/DeÃÅrectory/Thengie.inform/Build/Debug log.txt>

This implies that a pathname is being double-UTF8-encoded somewhere along the line. (Although I can't be sure whether this is the cause of the problem, or a screwup reporting the error in the IDE.)

I tried using some higher-block characters, e.g. Cyrillic. In these cases the compile seemed to hang up forever, producing no errors, but spinning the IDE's progress bar.
(0001831)
pchimento (developer)
2012-08-28 14:30

I fixed a bug in the Gnome IDE that caused a crash when the debug log couldn't be loaded - which is what happened in this situation. However, the real problem is still in the NI compiler.

I get:

Can't open debug log
Offending filename: </home/fliep/СОЮЗ.inform/Build/Debug log.txt>

So no double-UTF8-encoding and Cyrillic doesn't hang the IDE, so that implies that those are OSX-only bugs.
(0002264)
graham (administrator)
2014-01-11 13:33

In some implementations of the UTF-8 locale, filenames (and pathnames) are supplied to the NI tool by the user interface (to main() via arguments) using combining characters: thus, é is rendered as the digraph e + combining acute. This is quite unfortunate, because on those same locales fopen, mkdir, and so on all fail if given a UTF-8 encoded pathname with digraphs. Inform now normalises its command-line arguments to compress combining character digraphs into single characters, and it all now works.
(0002265)
zarf (developer)
2014-01-11 13:50

Cyrillic too?

(Want to make sure that case is checked, since it is not combining characters.)

- Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2012-08-23 06:21 Sman789 New Issue
2012-08-24 17:36 EmacsUser Project Gnome Inform application => Core Inform
2012-08-24 17:40 EmacsUser Effect => (critical) Compiler crashes
2012-08-24 17:40 EmacsUser Severity mild => critical
2012-08-24 17:40 EmacsUser Status new => confirmed
2012-08-24 17:40 EmacsUser Category Editing => Releasing, bibliographic data, cBlorb
2012-08-24 17:42 EmacsUser Tag Attached: wrongcategory
2012-08-26 13:46 zarf Note Added: 0001830
2012-08-28 14:30 pchimento Note Added: 0001831
2014-01-11 13:33 graham Note Added: 0002264
2014-01-11 13:33 graham Status confirmed => resolved
2014-01-11 13:33 graham Resolution open => fixed
2014-01-11 13:33 graham Assigned To => graham
2014-01-11 13:50 zarf Note Added: 0002265
2014-05-07 07:34 jmcgrew Fixed in Version => 6L02
2014-05-07 07:34 jmcgrew Status resolved => closed


Copyright © 2000 - 2010 MantisBT Group
Powered by Mantis Bugtracker