Mantis Bug Tracker

View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Issue History ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0000962Core InformSource text and punctuationpublic2012-08-04 20:112012-08-06 16:08
Reporterbloomer_au 
Assigned To 
PrioritynormalSeverityseriousReproducibilityalways
StatusclosedResolutionduplicate 
Platformx86OSMac OS XOS Version10.6
Product Version6G60 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
Summary0000962: An extensions combination which works fine in a short game prevents a longer game from compiling with nonsensical error reports.
DescriptionI added three of Erik Temple's Glimmr extensions to a working large game project which already contained many extensions, with the goal of having a graphic automap in glulx. The large project would then no longer compile, giving nonsensical error messages in the process. This is the usual one:

"In Part SR2 - Variables and Rulebooks, Section SR2/7 - The Standard Rulebooks in the extension Standard Rules by Graham Nelson:

Problem. You wrote 'The specific action-processing rulebook has a truth state called action in world' , but 'action in world' already has a meaning, which this would clash with."

An alternate error message can be viewed by moving the 3 Glimmr extensions from the start of the inclusions section to the end of it.

Observations: The Glimmr extensions work fine in a project on their own (I'll call it 'miniproject') and Erik Temple has verified they are being added to the larger project in the correct order relevant to each other.

In an attempt to isolate a clashing extension, I took miniproject and began to add to it all extensions from the larger game, one at a time, compiling on each pass. Eventually I had added all of the larger game's extensions, and any I6 excerpts or extension code contained in the larger projects main source, and miniproject still compiled fine.

I then took this 'safe' ordering of extensions and code and put it back into the larger project, where it crashed again with the same errors.

As a test, I then cut out the bulk of the large project's world content (40ish rooms, 100+ objects) and tried compiling, and found that it now would. I don't believe there is any 'controversial' content in the section I removed (no i6 code, no dumped extension code) which is what causes me to view the behaviour as potentially a bug related to project size in these circumstances.
Minimal Source Text To Reproduce
There is a room.
A thing called the world globe is here.

Table of Graphlink Glulx Replacement Commands
action
stored action
with 120 blank rows
Additional InformationEmacsUser advised me to report the problem when I was asking about it on intfiction.org
TagsNo tags attached.
Effect(serious) Compiler rejects valid code
Attached Files

- Relationships
duplicate of 0000550closedgraham Using "world" in an object name conflicts with Standard Rules 
related to 0000965closedgraham Problem messages for a wording that already has a meaning do not point to the statements establishing that meaning 

-  Notes
(0001747)
jmcgrew (administrator)
2012-08-04 20:39

Source code and extensions are attached. Submitter's notes:

- The folder FIGURES needs to be placed in the Release folder for this game when you try to compile it. It contains the graphics needed by the automap.
(0001755)
EmacsUser (manager)
2012-08-05 09:04

Confirmed. Inform is, strangely, reading ``action in world'' as a table column in a thing. This could be related to the umbrella issues on source text parsing, but it might also be specific to the machinery that tries to prevent ambiguous names.

Now that the code has been reduced, is it okay to make this public?
(0001756)
EmacsUser (manager)
2012-08-05 09:13

Actually, I think I'm going to merge the reduced test case with 0000550. I'm sorry that I didn't see that sooner; it probably would have saved a fair amount of time and frustration.

- Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2012-08-04 20:11 bloomer_au New Issue
2012-08-04 20:38 jmcgrew File Added: lgbug_stuff.zip
2012-08-04 20:39 jmcgrew Note Added: 0001747
2012-08-05 08:55 EmacsUser File Deleted: lgbug_stuff.zip
2012-08-05 09:04 EmacsUser Note Added: 0001755
2012-08-05 09:04 EmacsUser Status new => confirmed
2012-08-05 09:04 EmacsUser Category Extensions => Source text and punctuation
2012-08-05 09:04 EmacsUser Steps to Reproduce Updated View Revisions
2012-08-05 09:13 EmacsUser Note Added: 0001756
2012-08-05 09:13 EmacsUser Status confirmed => closed
2012-08-05 09:13 EmacsUser Resolution open => duplicate
2012-08-05 09:16 EmacsUser Relationship added duplicate of 0000550
2012-08-05 09:26 EmacsUser Relationship added related to 0000965
2012-08-06 16:08 EmacsUser View Status private => public


Copyright © 2000 - 2010 MantisBT Group
Powered by Mantis Bugtracker