version 10 by Michael Martin
- Section: Defining and firing off quips
- Section: Attaching rules to quips
- Section: Customizing parser messages
- Example: * Security Consultant - Extracting useful information from an NPC.
- Example: ** Think Fast - Reacting to sudden events with a choice from a menu.
- Example: ** When Injokes Collide - Mixing conversation with reactions, and matching on complete phrases or complex topics.
Reactable Quips provides a table-driven conversation system for NPCs that allows a mixture of traditional ask/tell and menu-based systems. The intended model is that under normal circumstances, the player character may initiate conversation by asking or telling an NPC about a topic. That NPC will then respond. However, NPCs may occasionally say or do things that demand or imply some kind of reaction from the PC -- the player must then choose some option off a menu to characterize the reaction.
Regardless of the intended model, it is quite possible to use the extension to implement a pure ask/tell system.